10 THINGS ABOUT THE MADONNA SG CONCERT (Feb 28, 2016)
- After flying around the world in the past 23 years to catch the Queen of Pop on tour in 6 cities over 3 continents, I finally got to watch her perform in my beloved homeland for the very first time.
- It started at 8.50pm – the earliest she had ever appeared thus far on this tour. Her usual show-time starts were between 10-11pm. So no complaints about her being late, please… (Yes, that means you, ex-boss… :p)
- Instead of opening with “Iconic”, the megastar went straight into the Japanese-themed “B***h I’m Madonna” after appearing on stage in the giant cage.
- Despite amendments requested by local authorities, the 2-hour plus show ran seamlessly like clockwork and was just as entertaining nonetheless. Most music fans are just happy to see her in real life.
- Some disgruntled fans claimed the Rebel Heart singer sold out for self-censoring. I rather believed she deemed it a small sacrifice so that fans in Singapore who cannot afford to fly overseas to see her, as well as other music lovers, can finally watch her live here. It’s showing maturity and sensitivity on her part. I, for one, am proud that she acted accordingly.
- The woman was hot – literally temperature hot and sweating like a hog, as ventilation in the National Stadium grounds was quite bad. Can’t blame her at all for embracing her (electric) fans on stage for extended periods of time.
- She was in great voice. (The heat must have helped, hee.) Just like in Manila, the megastar dedicated “Crazy for You” to us in Singapore (while the rest of the Asian stops had “Take A Bow”.)
- Again as in Manila, she reinstated the vibrant Gypsy ‘80s Medley – comprising the classics Dress You Up/Into The Groove/Everybody/Lucky Star – which was dropped in the other Asian stops and a few European gigs. It proved to be one of the most popular segments of the night for most concert-goers here.
- The 57-year-old, mother-of-four’s stamina and finesse clearly impressed every woman – and man – in the crowd, especially when she executed those stunning squat-jumps in high heel shoes during the exhilarating 1920s Cabaret segment. Time to hit the gym, all ye people!
- Attending a Madonna concert with long-time friends was super great fun. Both were seeing the pop icon live for the very first time and later confessed that they realised now that I’m not mad but totally understood just why I had flown overseas to catch this brilliant artiste on tour every time. Hearing that from them actually choked me up on the ride home…
Last but by no means least, a shout-out to Kiss92FM for their fabulous 48-hour Madonnathon over the weekend. Please consider having it again at least once or twice a year, thank you.
And here’s hoping that it won’t be the last time we will ever see the undisputed Queen of Pop on tour.
Photo Credit: Chan Hing Yee
No photos or text are to be used without the blog author’s permission.