10 Things about Madonna’s Tears Of A Clown Show at The Forum, Melbourne, Australia (10 March)
1. Only 750 fans from around the world got the chance to win a pair of tickets to attend this exclusive showcase. Thanks be to God that I was one of them!
2. Yes, 1500 of us waited 4 hours in a drizzling rain around the block of The Forum before the show started half an hour past midnight, but ultimately the amazing, one-of-its-kind, 2.5 hrs long performance by the Queen of Pop was utterly worth it…
3. Madonna on stage in total clown make-up and costume is for sure a rare sight. That a Madonna in full clown get-up presenting herself as a performance artist-cum-standup comic is even rarer.
4. Tears of a Clown has a delightful raw, casual and candid aura to it, unlike the regimentated feel of most of her world tours. The fact that it was held at the renowned Forum in Melbourne, a small but initimate venue certainly value-added to the entire experience.
5. The show set list was also a hardcore fan’s delight – rare hardly-sang-in-concert hits and gem album fillers were sang with aplomb, albeit with a few miscues requiring restarts. These ranged from X-static Process to Easy Ride, from Mer Girl to Take A Bow. It was great to be in a room filled with people who actually know the lyrics to each song!
6. The star performer was candid throughout the show and the personal stories she told of the loved ones in her life – father, late mother, first ex-husband Sean Penn and of cos Number One son Rocco, underlined the fact that there are probably more significant tears in the life of the megastar clown than what the audience was seeing…
7. A truly touching moment is when the mother-of-four dedicated Intervention to Rocco with a gorgeous pix of him on screen, and in mid-song she momentarily broke down for a second or two. This is the exact moment where you can literally hear her heart breaks…
8. But a clown needs to entertain and the woman did try her best to tell jokes as if her life depended on it. To be fair, most on this night were reasonably good. But one fell so badly that ONE kind fan upfront gave out a nervous laugh amidst the silence which only irritated her and made her threw peanuts at the fans in front. To that, we at the back applaud!
9. Some rag papers been saying she was a boozing mess on stage. No, she wasn’t. Madonna never drinks while on tour or when she’s performing. She only – shocker alert – act like she’s drinking during the show. The venue has a bar in the premises (this is Australia!) What’s a clown to do?
10. All in all, 15 songs including one from the Rebel Heart album, the very personal and heartfelt Joan of Arc, were packed in this wonderful presentation that despite “only two full rehearsals” was a truly incredible and entertaining showcase by one of the greatest performers on this planet.
Here’s hoping Tears Of A Clown won’t be a one-off. Ok, we know she hates Vegas with a venom… (She again said so adamantly in TOAC.) How about a residency in Broadway in your beloved New York then, Madonna? *wink*
In the meantime, thank you for Tears Of A Clown. A truly cool and insightful experience for any M fan…
Set list for Tears Of A Clown
1. Send in the Clowns
2. Drowned World/Substitute for Love
3. X-Static Process
4. Between the Bars
5. Nobody’s Perfect
6. Easy Ride
8. I’m So Stupid
9. Paradise Not For Me
10. Joan of Arc
11. Don’t Tell Me
12. Mer Girl
13. Borderline* – check out my video of this performance below!
14. Take A Bow