Truth be told, I wasn’t exactly excited when I heard that the second Star Wars Anthology film will be about a young Han Solo. After Rogue One, I wanted the next standalone movie to be either about Obi-wan Kenobi or Boba Fett.
Now that the first trailers for Solo: A Star Wars Story are out however, I’ve to admit that the film doesn’t look half bad. In fact, it actually looked quite good. Admittedly though, it did take a while to get used to the square-jawed Alden Ehrenreich (Hail, Caesar!) as the young Han Solo, especially when one has long embraced Harrison Ford as the Star Wars galaxy’s most famous rogue smuggler for over 40 years.
Still, there are many things to get excited about the latest Star Wars offering due out this May. Here are five highlights from the Solo: A Star Wars Story trailers.
1. A Squeaky Clean Millennium Falcon
2. Lando SuaveSpeaking of whom: To say that Donald Glover is perfectly cast as the suave, smooth-talking Lando Calrissian – the role made famous by Billy Dee Williams in the original trilogy – is an understatement. Just the cool, smug image of him above in the Super Bowl teaser clip was enough to have Twittersphere declaring him as the best thing / reason to watch Solo. We won’t go that far, but do agree that the Han Solo movie looks cooler with the Atlanta star in it.
3. Emilia Clarke as the mysterious Qi’ra
4. Cool New Main Villain
5. Glimpses Of The Han Solo We Know And LoveHave to confess that hearing Alden Ehrenreich narrating as Han Solo in the main trailer threw me off at first. Then I have to remember that he is not supposed to be a Harrison Ford clone. Truthfully, the 28-year-old didn’t turn out too badly. He may be underplayed in the Super Bowl trailer but in the main teaser, we get to see from the actor glimpses of the cocky yet adorable nerf herder that we know and love. One is in the funny scene where Han is steering the Millennium Falcon through a treacherous route with a terrified Lando and company in tow. Another is during the private chat he has with Qi’ra where he tries to act tough but lets a touch of vulnerability slips through. Here’s hoping Ehrenreich will be able to carry the entire film from start to finish.
* The 15 Coolest Easter Eggs in ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’
* Emilia Clarke’s Qi’ra – What We Know of the Enigmatic Character in Solo: A Star Wars Story
* 4 ‘Star Wars Rebels’ Easter Eggs in ‘Rogue One’
Solo: A Star Wars Story hyper-speeds into theaters worldwide on May 25, 2018 – the 41st anniversary of the day when George Lucas first sent us to a galaxy far, far away with Star Wars: A New Hope (1977).