Solo: A Star Wars Story will be the first Star Wars film to become a cult classic. Yes, it performed “poorly” at the global box office, grossing a mere US$393 million compared to $1 billion for 2016’s Rogue One, the other “Star Wars Story”. Yet majority who caught the young Han Solo standalone film unanimously declared it to be arguably the best Star Wars film since George Lucas’ Original Trilogy (1977-1983).
Now available on digital and other in-house formats, many Star Wars fans who skipped watching Solo in the theaters for one reason or another—like listening to naysayers—have been giving the fun, action-packed film the thumbs-up and regretting they did not catch it on the big screen. Most also agreed that the Ron Howard-directed film gets better with each repeated viewing too.
With Alden Ehrenreich impressively playing a young Han Solo—who we first see running scams on the rough streets of Corellia for a living a good decade plus before events in A New Hope—Solo has all the spirit and feel of a classic Star Wars film despite not featuring a single Jedi or mentioning the Force. It also boasts a stirring soundtrack by John Powell, stunning cinematography by Bradford Young, and a great supporting cast that includes Emilia Clarke, Donald Glover, Woody Harrelson, Thandie Newton, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, and Joonas Suotamo as Chewbacca (easily the meatiest role for the beloved Wookiee).Another strength of Solo is the script—written by Lawrence Kasdan (The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, The Force Awakens) and his son Jonathan, a self-confessed Star Wars geek—which is filled with nuances of Star Wars lore and humor.
As with all the best Star Wars films, Solo is filled with great quotes, with almost every vital character having a memorable line or two. Here’s but 20 of them:
20 QUOTABLE QUOTES FROM SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY
(Warning: Spoilers ahead if you have yet to see the film.)
1. “I have no people. I’m alone.”
– Han, informing the Imperial recruiting officer on Corellia who eventually gives him “Solo” as a last name.
2. “I’m telling you. You’ll never have a deeper sleep than when you’re curled up in a Wookiee’s lap.”
– Rio Durant, urging Tobias Beckett to let Han and Chewbacca join their crew at Mimbun.
3. “We couldn’t have done this like maybe one at a time?”
– Han to Chewbacca when the Wookiee joins him in the shower on board Beckett and crew’s stolen AT-hauler.
4. “It’s no good to die alone, kid.”
– Rio’s last words to Han which made the former scrumrat more determined than ever to return to Corellia and rescue his childhood love, Qi’ra.
5. “It’s been a ride, babe. Wouldn’t trade it for anything.”
– Val’s last words to Beckett before sacrificing herself during the conveyex train heist in Vandor.
6. “You look good. A bit rough around the edges, but good.”
– Qi’ra, upon reuniting with Han on board Dryden Vos’ yacht, three years after they were cruelly separated on Corellia.
7. “Everything you’ve heard about me is true.”
– Lando Calrissian, telling Han to believe every story about the self-made smuggler-gambler.
8. “Oh, why? Because you’re my organic overlord?”
– L3-37 to Lando when he insists that his co-pilot and self-made droid follows his orders.
9. “I don’t like it. I don’t agree with it. But I accept it.”
– Lando to Beckett after the latter cut his share to 20 per cent in exchange for lifting the restraining bolts off the Millennium Falcon.
10. “You might want to buckle up, baby.”
– Lando to Han, as they prepare to jump into hyperspace on the Falcon.
– Beckett warning Han that Qi’ra doesn’t fit into their plans.
12. “That brand says you’re committed, but that human male’s heart palpitations indicate that he is in love with you.”
– L3 to Qi’ra when the latter, who has a Crimson Dawn logo branded on her wrist, denies she has a “little problem” with Han.
13. “I found my true purpose, Lando! So glad we took this job!”
– L3 to Lando, after she triggered a mass droid breakout in the Kessel mines.
14. “I’ve got a really good feeling about this!”
– Han, as he’s about to steer the Millennium Falcon through the Kessel Run.
15. “Not if you round down, buddy!”
– Han to Chewbacca after the Wookiee disagrees that they completed the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs.
16. “I might be the only person who knows what you really are… You’re the good guy.”
– Qi’ra to Han after he claims he’s an outlaw who is not afraid of Dryden Vos or Crimson Dawn.
17. “I never ask for anything twice, Han.”
– Dryden Vos to Han when the latter remarks that it is not a good idea for the Crimson Dawn boss to handle a rack of volatile coaxium vials.
18. “You and I will be working much more closely from now on.”
– Maul, the real boss of Crimson Dawn, to Qi’ra after the top lieutenant is handed the late Dryden Vos’ position and instructed to fly to Dathomir to meet with him.
– Beckett to Han after the latter shoots the old-timer first to prevent him from walking away with the refined coaxium.
20. “It’s the blood that brings life to something new… A rebellion.”
– Enfys Nest, informing Han what 60 million credits worth of refined coaxium will be funding – the start of the resistance against the Empire.
* The 15 Coolest Easter Eggs in ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’
* Emilia Clarke’s Qi’ra – What We Know of the Enigmatic Character in Solo: A Star Wars Story
* Han Solo’s 15 Most Iconic Quotes from ‘Star Wars’
Solo: A Star Wars Story is now available on digital, 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, DVD and On-Demand, some of which may contain bonus content such as deleted scenes like the one below: